From July 27 to 29 at the Quintessa Estate in…
Getting the Word Out – Building the Biodynamic Brand
For the last year, the staff and board of the Biodynamic Demeter Alliance have been working diligently to understand the role we can play in supporting and building the biodynamic community. How do we best support farmers? Businesses? Regional groups? How can regional groups support building a strong biodynamic movement? We are still learning.
Biodynamics can save the world. It’s true. If every farmer and gardener throughout the world grew food and fiber in a way that gave back more than was taken, cultivated fertility and biodiversity of the soil and saw each farm as a whole, interconnected organism, it would change our world.
If every home, business, and farm set aside 10 percent of the land for biodiversity, treated animals with compassion and respect, and perceived all who worked the land as valued important individuals, we could heal social challenges, address climate change, care for our water, and nurture our society. If we bring associative economics into the picture and farmers, consumers, and distributors begin meeting to develop prices that are fair and prioritize the needs of society over pure profits, we would not only change our economy but make nourishing food more accessible.
If all of this sounds utopian, it is, but it’s not impossible. Across the United States and throughout the world, thousands of farmers, gardeners, and businesses are operating this way – and thriving, and more are transitioning every day! Many are Demeter certified – over 700,000 acres worldwide in 65 countries – with many more using biodynamic practices to heal the earth and their communities.
The Biodynamic Demeter Alliance was formed to champion, facilitate, and galvanize the biodynamic movement. A big part of that work is cultivating everyday consumer demand for Biodynamic® products and collaborating with partners to grow our nationwide network of producers that treasure biodiversity, regenerate the land, build the soil, and grow nourishing food that is accessible to all. We have the power to create an economy where farms and our communities can flourish.
In our modern world, one of the best ways to rally support is to build a brand. A brand that people trust, understand, and want to support and with which they align.
For the last year, the staff and board of the Biodynamic Demeter Alliance have been working diligently to understand the role we can play in supporting and growing the biodynamic community. How do we best support farmers? Businesses? Regional groups? How can regional groups support building a more robust biodynamic movement? We are still learning.
What we know is we need to build consumer demand for Biodynamic® products and to do that, we need to build our brand. We need to get the word out about the magic and power of biodynamics. We want to make it accessible to all.
After a year of listening, retreats, over 150 interviews, and more, we are pleased to announce – The Biodynamic Demeter Alliance has a logo! A mission statement! A vision statement! While the Demeter USA logo will continue to be used for Demeter-certified products, the new Biodynamic Demeter Alliance logo and branding will help us build a greater understanding of biodynamics, grow the movement, and change the world!
Who We Are
We believe that biodynamic agriculture can heal people and the planet. We advance the adoption of biodynamic practices among growers and bring together producers, distributors, advocates, consumers, and policymakers to create a thriving, equitable agricultural system that nurtures and supports the well-being of communities economically, environmentally, and spiritually.
The biodynamic movement works toward a world where agriculture serves as the foundation of our communities, where growing food and fiber is spiritually grounded, and the work, food, and products grown cultivate the health, well-being, and development of our Earth and all her inhabitants.
The Biodynamic Demeter Alliance works across the nation, igniting the desire for Biodynamic® products and serving a growing network of regional organizations and agricultural communities. We champion, facilitate, and galvanize the biodynamic movement in the US and work collaboratively with the international biodynamic movement to support farmers worldwide. We see our farmers as the living stewards of our soil, clean water, and essential biodiversity, and our work is to support their success.
What We Do
- Educate — The Biodynamic Demeter Alliance educates 40 farmers annually via our in-depth Biodynamic Farmer Training and Mentorship Program. We educate hundreds of others via online education programs, books, and informational resources and by connecting people to regional groups that provide excellent education programs. Since 1941, we have been producing the Biodynamics journal, a respected and beloved publication that covers everything from how to grow the best blueberries to understanding the cosmic forces of the universe.
- Build Community — The National Biodynamic Conference brings together farmers, gardeners, agencies, policymakers, writers, and more to learn, teach, and grow biodynamics nationally and internationally. We also connect people to their local communities via a network of more than 40 biodynamic organizations and regional groups across the country.
- Grow Support – Biodynamic farmers need consumers to buy their beautiful crops and animal products. We work to build the biodynamic community by educating consumers about why biodynamics is healthier for people and the planet.
- Create Access — We also work to make Biodynamic food, fiber, and other products more accessible via online markets and print directories and help companies to build more sustainable, regenerative supply chains that source biodynamically grown products.
- Grow Farmers — We provide technical assistance, mentoring, and certification services to support Demeter-certified farmers and businesses and help those who are transitioning to biodynamics and Demeter certification.
Associative Economics — Fundamental to biodynamics is the concept of associative economics, a philosophy of economic life that supports farmers, distributors, and consumers working together in creative, collaborative, and supportive ways.
The Biodynamic Demeter Alliance brings together farmers, consumers, and distributors in communities across the United States to find ways of working together collaboratively in a way that cares for people and the planet.